Thursday, November 29, 2007

Non-Dairy Isn't Dairy-Free

Many so-called “non-dairy” foods aren’t really non-dairy at all - such as “non-dairy” coffee creamer and “non dairy” whipped topping. They contain casein (milk protein). Sodium caseinate means the same thing. Soy cheese sounds dairy free, but most soy cheese is made from casein as well (vegan soy cheese is milk free.)
Food manufacturers really shouldn't be allowed to label foods as non-dairy when they are obviously not. But until the USDA regulates food labels more, we are stuck with "non-dairy" products with milk in them. When reading product labels, never assume that "non-dairy" is dairy-free.

1 comment:

Kristina--Therapy Tree said...

Great site! I am a feeding therapist and have just started a blog and am working on getting all of my milk free resources and good food finds up on the site...I happened upon your site, lucky me! I'd love to link to you if that is alright! I am starting to direct some of my allergy kiddos to the blog i started www.pickytots.blogspot.com but I have not added any of my favorite milk free foods yet! thanks!